Managing Clerk/Docketing Specialist
This highly regarded midsize full-service law firm located in midtown Manhattan is seeking a Managing Clerk / Docketing Specialist to support its active commercial litigation practice. Expected salary is up to $100K depending on experience.
This position is responsible for providing comprehensive litigation filing and calendaring services to the firm’s litigation department, which comprises approximately 20 attorneys of all levels. This is a one-person operation that requires the ability to work independently and interface directly with attorneys of all levels as well as courthouse personnel.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Maintain litigation department calendar by monitoring case filings, determining deadlines to be calendared, calculating deadlines pursuant to applicable court rules, and establishing calendar entries in the firm’s calendaring database on a timely basis. The firm currently uses MA 3000 for its calendaring functions, although the firm is open to providing other or additional tools as needed.
- Create, review, and distribute periodic calendar reports to attorneys.
- Research and provide guidance to attorneys and litigation support staff regarding applicable filing deadlines (e.g., discovery responses, responses to motions, pre-trial deadlines, court appearances, depositions, appeals deadlines, etc.) in cases pending in New York State and Federal courts, as well as other courts nationwide as needed.
- Research and provide guidance to attorneys and litigation support staff regarding applicable filing procedures (e.g., for commencement of actions, motions, orders to show cause, applications for TROs, judgments, etc.) for cases pending in New York State and Federal courts, as well as other courts nationwide as needed.
- Manage hardcopy filings and e-filings of pleadings, motions, and all other papers in New York State and Federal courts, as well as other courts nationwide as needed. Knowledge of state and federal filing procedures and rules is essential.
- Maintain forms for use in New York State and Federal courts.
- Arrange for service of legal documents such as subpoenas, summonses, etc.
- Actively assist and support the litigation department in daily operations and functions.
- Assume additional duties and/or responsibilities, as requested.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years of law firm experience in a managing clerk and/or docket clerk role.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong knowledge of litigation processes and commercial litigation in general.
- Substantial experience computing calendar deadlines for state, federal, and appellate courts.
- Experience with calendaring and docketing systems. The firm currently uses MA 3000 for its calendaring functions.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat, and willing to become proficient in other applications regularly used in the firm’s litigation department.
- Familiarity with hardcopy filing and e-filing procedures in New York State and Federal courts, including e-filing and retrieving documents in NYSCEF, PACER, and ECF.
- Experience with courthouse procedures in New York State and Federal courts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and able to effectively communicate and provide explanations to all levels of attorneys and litigation support staff.
- Excellent and consistent attention to detail and accuracy and superior organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and track extensive detail.
- Desire to take ownership and responsibility for projects or special assignments. Solid initiative and independent judgment skills.
- Reliable, dependable, and able to work independent of direct supervision.
- Strong customer service orientation; positive and proactive manner; strong work ethic.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org